Thursday, March 31, 2016

What I've Been Reading


A large part of being a good writer is being a good reader. We wouldn't want to write stories if we weren't in love with stories!

One of the perks of being a teacher is that I get to share my love of reading with my students. We read Lord of the Flies recently. I did skip a little bit of the pig killing part and instead of "sucks to your ass-mar" I said "Stinks to your asthma!" My students are 14-15 years old and boys. They loved it! They understood the breakdown of the society into tribes, bullying, the need for both meat and fire, and we talked about how heat can make you hallucinate. They drew maps of the island. We made a pig's head pinata and named her Lulu.



It was great fun. My students have special needs and had never made anything with paper maché before. They chose not to fill her with candy and break her. She is now our classroom mascot.

I've also read the Splintered series by A. G. Howard. @aghowardwrites on Twitter

This is a twist on Alice in Wonderland. I've been in a Wonderland mood lately. I even used Christmas money to order a mug.
My next series is Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. @frankbeddor on Twitter


My stack of 'To Read' books is large. I probably won't get to them until summer.

What is my class reading next? Number the Stars
Did we do The Giver? You betcha.

What are you reading?

No comments: