Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A to Z - "G" is for Guide

I decided the word for today was 'Guide' before I could think of an angle to present it. With a little research, I found plenty of helpful 'guides' for writers.

If you want some grammar basics, The Ultimate Writer's Guide has links to sources.
By far, if you have any questions and need a place to read up on any topic, Writer's Digest is the best.

But what if I don't want this 'guide' to be the kind that I can link to? It's not a very entertaining post.

We all have a 'guide' inside, a moral compass, our conscience that tells us right from wrong. We use this when we write villains and heroes to determine their motivations and get into gray areas where people do bad things for good reasons or good things for bad reasons.

Tips for Writing Villains
WikiHow to Create a Villain

There are many more sites with tips as well.

Heroes are easy to write. We want them to win. Villains are harder, but necessary. The hero has to have someone to champion against. Of course, the struggle can always be emotional or internal, depending on the genre.

Make your characters as realistic as possible. What are your inner struggles? What is your guide?

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

4 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I also believe we have spirit/animals guides. There's a different one for you. :)

-Chrys Fey
Tremp’s Troops - A to Z Co-co-host
Write with Fey

S. L. Hennessy said...

I have lots of guides sitting around my house. I'll take a look at anything that might help me make my characters feel more real.

Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

Jeff Beesler said...

Thank you for sharing these guides! They're sure to come in handy!

Jeff Beesler
Jeffrey Beesler's World of the Scribe
#770

PL Keenor said...

When it comes to writing my guide is simply, "Is this something I would like to read myself?" I liked your post!