Monday, April 6, 2015

A to Z - "E" is for Edit

Oh how we edit and edit as writers!

We edit for content, clarity, structure and style. For me, this type of editing occurs as I change from a first draft to a second draft.

Next comes copy editing. Copy editing does not change the context of the piece.  It corrects spelling, punctuation, grammar, terminology, jargon, and semantics. The number one rule before copy editing your own piece is to get away from it for a while! Some time and space will give you new clarity and a fresh perspective. I have copy edited my own work, as well as other's.  Here is a great visual guide of rules to keep in mind:




Editing is key. Even if you have some great editing skills, you still may want to pay someone professional to look at your work before self-publishing. If you get a traditional publisher, they will send your book baby to an editor and you will have to make changes based on what the publisher wants. Editing makes for good writing. No one publishes their first draft.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

3 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

Editing sure is important. Thank you for sharing this excellent advice. Happy writing! I've got posts under numbers 1388 and 1613 on the A to Z list today.

Stephen Tremp said...

I have a great editor. No way I could be where I'm at today with the madness and genius of my editor.

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

I have herd horror stories about editors who add paragraphs into the story... ugh. I have only had very good experiences with them so far :)

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary