But I have amassed a super cheat sheet sure to bring the words flowing back!
With Your WIP Open In Front of You:
- Write out of order - Who says you have to write scene by scene?
- Switch to a different POV - Maybe your story needs to be told by some other char.
- Slow down the action - Describe in slo-mo what exactly is going on
- Throw in supporting characters
- Write a deep dark secret -char's have skeleton's in their closets, don't they?
- Kill off a character - Your book doesn't need the dead weight
- Learn something new about your setting, background, or character's occupation - research!
- Take a scene and re-imagine it as a different genre
- Create a new civilization
- Write a silly story - break the ice
- Write some poetry, or a song
- Write to incorporate a list of words - use 'word of the day' websites, or make some up
- Go back to your Writer's Notebook (You keep one, right? Please tell me you do!) look up something old you wrote ages ago and see it's potential now.
- Look for a challenge or a prompt on a website (see list of my faves below)
- Get away from your desk! For goodness sakes, have your knees locked up?!
- Journal, Doodle, Freewrite - Wrote anything, even not story related, just to get the juices flowing and keep the habit alive!!
- Tell someone! You think your brain is the only out there worthy of generating a decent thought??! Bounce ideas off of someone else.
- Listen to music. As long as it doesn't completely derail you, like it sometimes does it me, great music can take your mind on a creative flight akin to dreaming.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.