Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July Writing Challenge

It is July Novel Writing Month! Did you know? JulNoWriMo

I am taking this challenge to write 50,000 words in July. That's 1,667 words a day. More if I take a break on the 4th for Independence day, and the 5th for another celebration of Independence day. Single spaced, that's about 3 pages, even with dialogue.

In a WriMo, anything goes. Even if the writing is complete crap, count the words and move on. Word vomit can be cleaned up later. The goal is the finish line. The goal is to write The End and to like what you have done.

My last two posts on my writing resolutions and what holds me back are going to help fuel me through this.

Plus, it's my summer break and I am determined to reawaken my passion for writing and love what I do every day.



My first Writing Resolution was to finish what I start. I have started this writing challenge, and I will finish it! I'm sure it will fuel me to more blog posts, more time spent editing, and more projects finished. Then I can focus on accomplishing my next two writing goals. (Getting critiques and marketing)

As far as turning my stumbling blocks into stepping stones, I am tackling them in reverse order. I am no longer burdened for time (number 3). I have a story that I have outlined to be my muse (number 2). All I lack is a writing partner.

In this case, I take a sort of "If you build it, they will come" approach...

If I keep writing, blogging, and critiquing others, I will find a writing buddy. I will find a muse. If I go where the writers hang out, I will find somebody who is willing to take on my questions, inane ramblings, and enthusiasm for my story and reciprocate with advice, ideas, and laughter.

For now, though, it is back to the work-in-progress.

No comments: