Saturday, December 17, 2011

Smashwords, Writing, and Respect

It has been a LONG time since I have blogged ANYTHING! Blogging has been the last thing on my mind.

But I wanted to share that I have posted some free short stories on smashwords here.

This is my winter break and I am working on several writing things, as usual. I hope to have more free things posted there soon.

I finished reading Brisingr yesterday. Despite the terrible movie adaptation of Eragon, I still am reading this series. One thing about it, the world is very developed and the books are well thought out. I admire that because I have tried to create a world in my nano novel and it is much harder than it looks. Once you get into the plot and have to think about how all the strings you've woven together will influence the others if you begin to pull on them, the story either unravels at your feet or it forms a beautiful new cohesive shape.

Paolini also is a master of writing a lot of words where nothing happens and yet the scene is important to the plot and cannot be cut. I can just imagine all the words in these large books that were cut! That is a LOT of work. I respect him for that. Also, I respect his grasp of the thoughts behind the actions. So much of the story is exposition, stating motivation, and then seeing it from another point of view, or how it interacts with other scenes later. I need to learn to do that. :)

Is there an author you respect and why?

I'm off to get some more writing practice in, and maybe read a lot more as well!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: