Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A to Z - "X" is for Exercise

We all know exercise is good for your body, inside and out.

How do you exercise your brain, namely your writing muscles?

Writing exercises are many and varied. You can look up journal prompts, make character sketches using interview techniques, or even try some writing prompts. A fellow writing friend has a writing exercise blog. Daily Writing Prompts. You can write right in the comments!

While I like Brainstormer, as previously mentioned, there are plenty of others.

Writer's Digest
Writing Prompts That Don't Suck (Tumblr)
Random Writing Prompts By Language Is A Virus
Poets and Writers (scroll down in each box)
Writing Forward

Do some searching and reading and try one out. Try a few. I never thought I could write steampunk or cyberpunk or noir fiction, but I can. After a challenge that I tried out, I grew as a writer. My imagination stretches far greater than I thought it could.

If you can think it, you can write it.

Hmm, perhaps I need to add a Prompts page to this blog..


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

Shonna Slayton said...

Ha, that's a wonderful graphic. I haven't played around with writing prompts in a while. Maybe after this challenge is over :)
@ShonnaSlayton from
Shonna Slayton YA Writer - Blogging the 1940’s from A to Z