Sunday, January 1, 2012

Writing Resolutions for Me

Inspired by K.M. Weiland's 12 Writing Goals for the 12 Months of 2012 and following the link there to 10 Writing Resolutions You Can Fulfill, I will attempt my own Writing Resolutions.

Firstly, I will finish this short story about underground two humans who stumble upon albino creatures, sprites, and dryads while out in the woods at dusk. I will get it published on smashwords.

Then, because I have to return to work for 5 months, my focus will be on editing, ficly writing, reading and blogging. I schedule these things in the evenings when I am winding down, often between 8 and 9 PM. Sometimes I start earlier, sometimes later, but I never forget the boys' bedtime story reading at 8! Then there's the weekend which opens up a lot of time, when we are not doing something else.

In other news, I sent out my first query. Yeah, that's a pretty big step, however, I felt like it was a tiny tendril reaching out and will probably grasp onto nothing. I queried this particular agent because she seems to want to publish what this book wants to be. My hope is that she can see its potential. But I think that this will be the first of many rejections.

One thing I need to do is get a critique partner. While I have plenty of writing friends and fans, not many are willing to settle down with 30,000 words and a red pen for me. 2,000 sure, but a full length novel? They have day jobs, too! I respect that. K.M. suggests trading manuscripts with someone. That's what I have to do.

Another goal that matches hers is to exterminate those cliche's! I also use so, just, and that too often in my first drafts.

Lastly, this platform thing.. I need to research and work on that. I have new inspiring ideas for my third blog on wordpress Spoonfuls of Sugar, I just cleaned up my first blog here on blogger, and this is my second, the one I reserve for writing news only. I thought it was going to be my platform, but I realize that everything is interwoven online, so my platform is me. If I stay true to myself, I can't go wrong.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: