Friday, July 10, 2015

How I Outlined My Novel And Why I Love It

I'm distracting myself with writing for Camp Nanowrimo. I have over 10,000 words. I'm pretty pleased with myself. I couldn't have done it without writing up an outline and using Scrivener. 

Here is the basic outline idea.
Scrivener makes this easy.

Love Weiland and Scrivener!

Basically, I made folders for each part of the story structure, as listed in the first link. Then, inside each folder I made two note cards, one for Scene and one for Sequel where I listed the components of each. My Scene card says Goal, Conflict, Disaster and my Sequel card says Reaction, Dilemma, Decision. I typed up the basic notes for each scene and sequel here. Then it's a matter of typing them out. That's the fun part.

I've never used an outline formula like this, never thought about structuring my scenes. I've just written. I've written outlines, but never with this much depth and never before knowing exactly how the story should end. I don't think I will ever write a story again without one. It's much better than having an idea for a few scenes and cobbling them together and finding out you have half a story 30,000 words in.

Don't get me wrong, I could write a scene and have a better idea and change the outcome. This way it is easy to go into my outline and make those changes the new story line idea has made. It may change the ending. That's still okay. Outlines are not set in stone. They are guidelines, and something I desperately needed to stay on track.


No comments: